By Grace Bains
Anxiety can be a very difficult disorder to deal with. It brings with itself insecurity, paranoia and the ability to jump to the worse conclusions ever because you are always up in arms against yourself.
However, there are ways to train your mind to not go into its dangerous state of anxiety at the drop of a hat. These tricks help you calm your nerves and deal with the situation in a much better way. Go through them and figure out which one suits you the best.
1. Inhale to the count of four, hold your breath till the count of four and then exhale to the count of four. This is the 4-4-4 technique and this breathing exercise will help if you’re having an anxiety attack.
2. Go back to photos or videos that made you happy. It could be from a vacation you enjoyed or the latest dog video, habituate your mind to good thoughts. Doing this for 10 seconds, three times a day will help you focus on the good.
3. Close your eyes when you’re stressed out. It will help you block negative imagery and get back to a more focused chain of thought.
4. Adult colouring bookswith geometrical designs can help calm the mind and reduce stress. It can also help with regaining focus.
5. When you’re feeling exceptionally anxious, start writing down your issues. Doing so will help you see the situation carefully and you’ll be able to find apt solutions.
6. Better still would be to get into the habit of making a to-do list right in the morning, to reduce your anxiety about all the tasks at hand. It will make you feel more organized and prepared as well to the day head-on.
7. Keep a stress ball around your desk for work-induced anxiety. If you feel like you’re not able to focus, squeeze it to find your centre and regain a sense of calmness.
8. Hold an ice cube. Psychotherapist Edie Stark has been quoted saying that doing so will make your system focus on the cold rather than whatever is causing you to have a panic attack.
9. Meditation is very important when it comes to dealing with anxiety. Since yoga has the ability to affect the nerves in our body it will calm you down in the case of a panic attack.
Remember, you need to make an effort to train your mind to avoidanxiety!